New Releases Top Sellers Future Releases
Bargain Bin UMD Video Accessories

Browse Categories: Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, XBox 360, Playstation 2, XBox, Sony PSP, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PC

Is Wii Exercise Real Exercise?


The Wii along with Wii Fit and Balance Board have taken a place in many American Homes. Some people feel that the Wii is great for exercise and fitness and others feel that is worthless. Where do you stand?

As a basic foundation for answering this question I will start with some basic definitions of three words:

Exercise: Physical activity that is planned, structured, and repetitive for the purpose of conditioning any part of the body.
Real: Being or occurring in fact or actuality-true and actual.
Beneficial: Advantageous, producing or promoting a favorable result.Strictly on the basis of the definitions of the above words Wii exercise is real exercise. It meets the requirement of planned, structured and repetitive activity to condition any part of the body. It is real because exercise performed on the Wii is actual, not virtual. I added the third word; beneficial, because it is often referred to when discussing the Wii and exercise. Wii exercise is helpful, producing a favorable result.

The value of the exercise derived from the Wii is probably what in question. The answer varies entirely on who you are asking, and what their expectation and definition of exercise is.

I will answer from my personal point of view, because I have used the Wii Fit and Games as a method of exercise for over one year now. The main reason I bought the Wii was for the accountability built into the Wii Fit. It records my schedule of using it regularly, the time spent and the recording of my weight and BMI automatically for me. It doesn't allow me to say that I exercised on a day that I didn't, and if I missed a few days, the game informed me that I missed the days and actually wanted to if I knew the reason I gained weight.

Before getting the Wii I was almost completely sedentary, having no wish to work out or go to a gym, but realizing that I HAD to do something to get ME MOVING. I was obese, not able to walk any distance at all and had very rigid muscles due to Parkinson's disease. I started with the balance exercises. I know many people do not consider being able to keep one's balance as a part of a fitness routine. But since I lacked balance I was greatly hindered in doing any type of exercise movement. Within the first week of doing the very simple balance exercises I noticed that I had better balance, and I "toppled" over less. I spent 20-30 minutes a day standing up and wiggling around to keep my balance. For me that was a great accomplishment.

Standing is better for me than sitting. Being able to keep my balance and get little balls to go through holes, and eventually be able to avoid hitting every flag on the ski course were skills that I developed. It was exercise because it was planned, structured, and repetitive for the purpose of conditioning my body. When I started I had to place my walker around the balance board to grab when I lost my balance. Within two weeks I no longer needed the walker to do the exercises. I was more conscious of my weight and worked harder to eat right. I started to lose weight.

So the big question would I have been better off spending the two weeks at a gym with a personal trainer? Perhaps, except that I would not do that, but I did do the Wii Fit. The fact that I am still using the Wii and the fifty pounds I have lost to date has to count for something.

Within a month I was trying the aerobic and strength exercises. I found them hard, and exhausting. I kept at them and have now opened up all the levels of the game. I am now able to do the advanced dance and the freestyle run. It opened up the world of exercise to me. I use a heart rate monitor and indeed my heart rate does get up to the aerobic exercise range, I run or dance long enough for it to count.

Would it do this for a fit person, perhaps not, but it works for me.

Many of the Wii games are more energetic than some of the exercises on the Wii Fit. There are many new fitness games that provide exercise, fun and activity that I can do in the privacy of my living room. This alone, is very important to me.

Because of the Wii Fit I purchased a pedometer and found that days I didn't use the Wii I walked many step fewer than the days that I used it. In time I added some walking DVD's to my routine.

Some of the newer Wii games such as "The Biggest Loser" are fantastic. I have access to 88 different exercises and I have extensive control over customizing my workout to what works best for me.

The Wii Fit has made exercise and movement available and fun to people for whom it wouldn't otherwise be available.

Although I agree that the Wii wouldn't get a gym enthusiast to even break a sweat.For me and other people like me it is empowering. It definitely opened up doors that I would have never even attempted opening before. I look forward to getting my Wii Fit Balance Board out and seeing my weight and BMI go down. I know that I am in better physical shape now than I was before using it.

Therefore, I have to answer that yes, the Wii exercise is real exercise.








Patricia M. Hines invites you to visit her blog at http://www.weightloss4healthnow.com
A blog documenting healthful weight loss and my personal journey to improve my health and in the process help as many other people as possible.